emg home
Perisic sentenced to 27 years in prison Brammertz to visit Belgrade on September 12 FM Lambrinidis carries out working visit to Zagreb, Belgrade and Pristina Montenegro: Debate on electoral law postponed until Wednesday Pupils stage protest in Kosovska Mitrovica and Zubin Potok Greece: Bank credit remained negative in July SEV President: Eurozone exit will return Greece to 1950s-era conditions Greek company to build two tunnels on Corridor 10 Montenegrin MPs to discuss election bill Serbian foreign minister says renewal of relations is not out of nostalgia Stefanovic: Pristina authorities deploy customs officers at checkpoints PM Boc: It is highest time for companies to invest in Romania Steel Con opens new plant in Kumanovo region Fule: Name row could be settled by year's end, reforms must resume Locomotives of Russia's development AMC gains Albania's second 3G license 40th Book Festival opens at Zappeion Greece mission to Libya, humanitarian aid to Tripoli ND leader's schedule for TIF events announced Josipovic: Crisis in Croatia isn't over yet Russia plans to freeze Bourgas-Alexandroupolis project Lukoil's CEO pledges further investments in Bulgaria EU assists Bosnia i Herzegovina in preparing independent sector analyses of agriculture sectors Albania: Lobo Sosa Visits Taçi Oil Group Ban Ki-Moon: Non-Aligned Movement natural partner of U.N. Calls from Northern Kosovo for Stefanovic's dismissal Pristina to get good news from Vatican soon, says nuncio Food prices in Serbia follow trends in world commodity markets First regional centre for development of agriculture Diana Dragutinovic appointed as NBS vice governor again SPS once again together with PUPS and JS, says Dacic Acceptance of stamps means recognition of Kosovo, says Tahiri Donation of Japanese government to hospital for endemic nephropathy, Lazarevac medical centre Djelic to present Draft law on restitution and indemnification, Draft law on public property Presentation of programme for perpetrators of domestic violence Honduras will help Kosovo Dacic: NAM countries potential market for Serbian economy Passenger traffic at Izvori crossing back to normal Tadic: Deepening cooperation with NAM countries in Serbia’s interest

Yukio Edano: Explosion did not occur at Fukushima reactor

12. March 2011. | 17:13

Source: Japan Today.com

Japanese authorities have confirmed there was an explosion at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant Saturday afternoon but it did not occur at its troubled No. 1 reactor, top government spokesman Yukio Edano said.

Japanese authorities have confirmed there was an explosion at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant Saturday afternoon but it did not occur at its troubled No. 1 reactor, top government spokesman Yukio Edano said.

The chief Cabinet secretary also told an urgent press conference that the operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co., has confirmed there is no damage to the steel container housing the reactor.

Edano said the 3:36 p.m. explosion resulted in the roof and the walls of the building housing the reactor’s container being blown away.

The authorities expanded an evacuation area for all local residents from a 10-kilometer radius of the Fukushima No. 1 and No. 2 plants to a 20-km radius.

Officials of Japan’s nuclear safety agency also said after examination that they believe there has been no serious damage to the container of the No. 1 reactor, judging from the latest radiation data monitored around the facility.

The incident came after the plant lost its cooling functions after it was jolted by a magnitude 8.8 earthquake Friday and radioactive substances of cesium and iodine were detected near the facility Saturday.

The detection of the materials, which are created following atomic fission, led Japan’s nuclear safety agency to admit the reactor has been partially melting—the first such case in Japan.

A partial core meltdown also occurred in a major nuclear accident at Three Mile Island in the United States in 1979. About 45 percent of nuclear fuel was melted in the incident, causing radioactive materials to be released.

According to the Fukushima prefectural government, the hourly radiation from the Fukushima plant reached 1,015 micro sievert in its premises before the explosion, an amount equivalent to that allowable for ordinary people in one year.

Four workers—two from the company and two others from another firm—were injured in the explosion, according to Tokyo Electric Power. The four were working to deal with problems caused by a powerful earthquake that hit northeastern Japan on Friday, it said.

The company said the injuries the four have suffered are not life-threatening and that they are conscious.

The operator of the quake-hit nuclear plants in Fukushima Prefecture, successfully released pressure in the container of housing one of its reactors to prevent a nuclear meltdown, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said.

Even before Tokyo Electric Power succeeded in reducing the pressure, which would involve the release of steam that would likely include radioactive materials, radiation had risen to an unusually high level in and near the No. 1 nuclear plant.

Work to depressurize the containers, aimed at preventing the plants from sustaining damage and losing their critical containment function, has been conducted under an unprecedented government order.

The agency said the core at the No. 1 reactor of the No. 1 plant may be partially melting, and the work to depressurize the container was necessary to prevent the container from sustaining damage and losing its critical containment function.

The agency said that as a result of reducing the container’s pressure radioactive levels at the plant went up. The depressurizing work involves the release of steam including radioactive materials.

But the agency denied that the radiation amount will pose an immediate threat to the health of nearby residents, as wind is currently blowing toward the sea in the northeastern Japan prefecture on the Pacific coast.

At the No. 1 plant, the amount of radiation reached around 1,000 times the normal level in the control room of the No. 1 reactor, and 70 times the normal level near the main gate of the plant.

It was the first time an external radioactive leak had been confirmed since the disaster.


My Web

Enter text:


05. September - 11. September 2011.